James J. — Robinson
James J. Robinson is a photographer and filmmaker from Australia based between Los Angeles and New York.
Initially shooting from 2014 at the age of 18, James has since been published by the likes of The New York Times and Vogue Australia, worked with big names such as Kylie Jenner, Rihanna and Virgil Abloh, creative directed and shot campaigns for Instagram and Valentino, directed films screened at Toronto International Film Festival and World Expo, plus shot hundreds more ad campaigns, album covers, magazine editorials and music videos.
Inspired primarily by literature, lighting design and cinema, his work is guided by meticulous attention to lighting and character.
He is the former creative director of international photography collective/independent publishing house AEVOE, where he managed 30 artists all the way from Ukraine to South Korea.
You can watch his TEDx talk where he discusses more about his practice here.
- Amazon Prime
- Condé Nast
- Instagram (Facebook)
- Opening Ceremony
- Sony (Australia, Indonesia, Denmark, UK)
- Tom Ford
- Universal Studios
- Entertainment Weekly
- The Face
- GQ (Australia, Germany, Spain)
- i-D (UK & Australia)
- The New York Times
- Nylon (USA & Japan)
- Vogue (Australia & Ukraine)
- Wonderland Magazine
- ‘Sky’ film - TEDxSydney at Sydney Opera House, April 2014
- ‘The Glaze Age’ - Liberty Social Exhibition, August 2014
- ‘Somnambulists’ - Brunswick Street Gallery, March 2015
- ‘Open for Business’ film - Milan World Expo, May to October 2015
- 'After Hours' - Solo Exhibition at Junior Space Gallery,
- November 2016
- 'Apollo Health Club, 1995' - screening at Neon Parlour, July 2017
- 'No Reception' for Toronto International Film Festival, September 2017
- 'Lovesick Rodeo' - At Current Gallery, December 2018
- ‘Living Memory’, National Photographic Portrait Prize - National Portrait Gallery, July to November 2021
- ‘The Masses and the Media’ - RMIT University, September 2015
- ‘The World of Photo Collectives’ - Australian Centre for Contemporary Photography, December 2015
- Glebe ColourSound Festival, Sydney - Guest speaker, April 2016
- Rowville Secondary College - Guest lecturer, August 2016
- Melbourne Music Week ‘Music in Motion’ - Panel at State Library of Victoria, November 2016
- Nike Air Max Day filmmaking tutorial lecturer - Nike HQ, March 2019
- TEDxYouth @ Sydney speaker - Seymour Centre, April 2019
- New York City YMCA - Guest careers speaker, November 2019
- University of Warwick - PhotoSoc panel, March 2021
- ‘Finding your photographic voice’ - Melbourne Fashion Festival, March 2021