James J. — Robinson
James J. Robinson is a Filipino/Australian photographer and filmmaker based in Los Angeles.
Initially shooting from 2014 at the age of 18, James has since been published by the likes of The New York Times and Vogue Australia, worked with big names such as Kylie Jenner, Rihanna and Virgil Abloh, creative directed and shot campaigns for Instagram and Valentino, plus shot and directed hundreds more ad campaigns, short films, album covers, magazine editorials and music videos.
With a background in cinema and film criticism, his work pays particular attention to character and narrative. He also spends most of his time researching semiotic and historical attitudes toward the properties of light - everywhere from the Bible to more traditional Asian dogma - all of his work pays particular attention to the way we use and understand light and shadow.
However, despite commercial success, Robinson aims to keep his work grounded in celebrating the lives of everyday people – choosing to use his work as a conduit for social change and identity politics.
Beyond his photography and directing work, James is also a disability support worker, writer, lighting designer, and public speaker.
You can watch his TEDx talk where he discusses more about his practice here.
- Amazon Prime
- Condé Nast
- Instagram (Facebook)
- Opening Ceremony
- Sony (Australia, Indonesia, Denmark, UK)
- Tom Ford
- Universal Studios
- Entertainment Weekly
- The Face
- GQ (Australia, Germany, Spain)
- i-D (UK & Australia)
- The New York Times
- Nylon (USA & Japan)
- Vogue (Australia & Ukraine)
- Wonderland Magazine
- ‘Sky’ film - TEDxSydney at Sydney Opera House, April 2014
- ‘The Glaze Age’ - Liberty Social Exhibition, August 2014
- ‘Somnambulists’ - Brunswick Street Gallery, March 2015
- ‘Open for Business’ film - Milan World Expo, May to October 2015
- 'After Hours' - Solo Exhibition at Junior Space Gallery,
- November 2016
- 'Apollo Health Club, 1995' - screening at Neon Parlour, July 2017
- 'No Reception' for Toronto International Film Festival, September 2017
- 'Lovesick Rodeo' - At Current Gallery, December 2018
- ‘Living Memory’, National Photographic Portrait Prize - National Portrait Gallery, July to November 2021
- ‘The Masses and the Media’ - RMIT University, September 2015
- ‘The World of Photo Collectives’ - Australian Centre for Contemporary Photography, December 2015
- Glebe ColourSound Festival, Sydney - Guest speaker, April 2016
- Rowville Secondary College - Guest lecturer, August 2016
- Melbourne Music Week ‘Music in Motion’ - Panel at State Library of Victoria, November 2016
- Nike Air Max Day filmmaking tutorial lecturer - Nike HQ, March 2019
- TEDxYouth @ Sydney speaker - Seymour Centre, April 2019
- New York City YMCA - Guest careers speaker, November 2019
- University of Warwick - PhotoSoc panel, March 2021
- ‘Finding your photographic voice’ - Melbourne Fashion Festival, March 2021